What is a Split System Air Conditioner?
A split system air condition has 2 major parts – a wall mounted unit that is installed on the internal wall of your house, and an external unit that is mounted either on the external wall (with brackets) or on a concrete slab on the ground outside your home. These units are connected by copper pipes and electrcial cables and are generally located within 3 metres of each other.
What is a Back to Back Installation
A back to back installation means a split system unit where the external and internal units are located in the same position either side of the wall. This is the cheapest installation for you, as there is no need for additional pipework
What is a Reverse Cycle Air Conditioner?
A reverse cycle air conditioner has both a cooling and heating mode. Many split system air conditioners are reverse cycle and they don’t costmuch more than the cooling only models.
What is an Inverter Air Conditioner?
It enables the air conditioning system to use less energy (electricity), because it gently increases and decreases power, rather than operating at a fixed speed on a “start”, “stop” principal.
Inverter Air Conditioners are generally quieter than a non-inverter air conditioner of an equal size.
Manufacturers recommend energy savings of up to 30% can be achieved when the units are the correct size for the area and used as recommended.
These units are slightly dearer than non inverter models, but benefits of quieter operation and savings in electricity costs make them a better option in the long term.
Tips on Energy Efficiency
Take note of these tips to reduce the cost of running your air
- On a hot day, increase your air conditioner temperature by 1°C (eg change it from 23°C up to 24°C) – this could save you up to 10 percent of operating costs
- Keep all internal and external doors closed so that the conditioned air is restricted to the area requiring heating or cooling
- Close curtains over large glass areas – this can prevent up to 16 percent of heat transfer through glass
- In Summer, remember to close curtains on western windows before the afternoon sun hits them
- In Winter, remember to open curtains on the northern windows to allow the morning sun to naturally warm your home
- Ensure ceiling space above all air conditioned areas is insulated to a recommended 3.0 R value (R Value is the standard measure of thermal resistance of any material.)
- Remember to turn off your air conditioner when you leave home, most models can be set to turn on at a set time, so set it to turn back on an hour before you plan to return home.